UPFFA LOCAL 493 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The United Phoenix Fire Fighters Association Local 493 creed is to take care of those who served before us, those who are serving now, and those who will serve in the future. Since the 1970’s Local 493 has offered scholarships to the college bound children of our members. In 2001, the Executive Board realized the cost of going to college increased drastically and the UPFFA Scholarship Program was increased to help pay a portion of freshman expenses. In 2016 we announced that the UPFFA Local 493 Scholarship Program received a Grant, and the monetary awards were increased. We are excited to announce that we are now able to give 13 scholarships and (5) of them will be a four-year scholarship.
- Be a Graduating High School Senior from an accredited Arizona High School, Class of 2022.
- The son, stepson, daughter, stepdaughter of an Active or Retired Member of Local 493 in good standing.
- Minimum 2.75 High School Grade Point Average (GPA) and include a copy of High School Transcript.
- Enroll in a four-year accredited College, University, or AZ Community College full time
- Return completed application packet by 3:30 pm on Thursday, February 3, 2022.
- All applicants are required to complete an essay. The essay topic and a copy of the rules and guidelines will be mailed to applicants on February 7, 2022. Applicants will have 5 weeks to write the essay.
The monetary awards are as follows:
- Duane Pell Scholarship – $4000 the first year; $3000 annually for 3 years*
- Pat Cantelme Scholarship – $4000 the first year; $3000 annually for 3 years*
- Al Cruz Scholarship – $4000 the first year; $3000 annually for 3 years*
- Benny Ashley Scholarship – $4000 the first year; $3000 annually for 3 years*
- Jimmy Arcadia Scholarship – $4000 the first year; $3000 annually for 3 years*
- Douglas W Mummert Community Service Scholarship – $2500
- Brian Beck Jr. Scholarship – $2500
- AZ United Black Firefighters J.W.R. Scholarship – $2500
- Valley Hispanic Bomberos Tony Torres Scholarship – $2500
- Emerald Society Howard Adams Scholarship – $2500
- Valley Fire Fighter Veterans Society Claude Nelson Jr. Scholarship – $2500
- Valley Women’s FF Society Crystal Rezzonico Scholarship – $2500
- Phoenix Fire Foundation Scholarship – $2500
* Annual scholarship renewal is contingent on the student maintaining a full-time status in their respective institution and maintaining a minimum of 2.75 GPA.
Please return the completed Application by 3:30 pm on February 3, 2022
Mail: UPFFA, Attn: Crystal Allman- 61 E. Columbus Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85012
Email: email@example.com you will receive an email confirmation.
Applications will not be accepted after this date and time.